This page outlines what UBC requires of all Investigators applying for, holding, or working on studies that must comply with the US Public Health Service Financial Conflict of Interest Regulations (PHS FCOI Regulations).
The PHS FCOI Regulations establish Investigator reporting AND training requirements and apply to all PHS funded research including NIH funded research. These Regulations have also been adopted by other organizations. Please see the List of Granting Agencies requiring compliance with the Regulations. This list is provided for your convenience and may not be complete so please check with your funding agency if you are unsure whether compliance is required.
A. Before a grant application is submitted
The UBC PI must ensure the following steps are completed:
- Provide a List of Investigators, including UBC Investigators as well as any Subrecipient (SR) and unpaid External Investigators involved with the study.
Where UBC is a subrecipient, the list need only include those Investigators working on the UBC subaward.
- All UBC Investigators have submitted a SFI Disclosure (Form 1).
- If the List of Investigators includes SR and/or unpaid External Investigators, an authorized official of the SR/External institution has signed and submitted the Subrecipient/External Investigator Institutional Declaration (Form 2).
- In addition, where a SR/External Investigator opts to follow UBC's US FCOI Policy, they have submitted a Subrecipient SFI Disclosure (Form 3).
B. Once a grant has been awarded, but before funds are released
The UBC PI must ensure all Investigators following UBC's US FCOI Policy have completed two training modules:
- NIH FCOI tutorial (approximately 45 minutes)
Investigators must submit the Certificate of Completion to UBC’s Designated Institutional Official (email@example.com) and keep a copy for their records.
- UBC US FCOI tutorial (approximately 20 minutes)
The presentation provides instructions for demonstrating completion of the training.
A certificate of completion will be automatically generated and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org when you complete the tutorial.
Renewals for training modules are required every 4 years. You will receive an automated reminder to renew your tutorials.
Subrecipients/External Investigators NOT following UBC's US FCOI Policy
Where a Subrecipient Investigator who is following their institution’s Financial Conflict of Interest policy is found to have a FCOI, the Subrecipient Institution must report the FCOI to UBC as follows: before awarded funds are released; annually; and within 45 days of a new FCOI being identified. Please contact email@example.com for further instructions.
These procedures are conditions of receiving funding as required by the US PHS Financial Conflict of Interest Regulations. Failure to comply could seriously compromise UBC’s ability to continue to receive US PHS funding.
- UBC Directive
- PHS FCOI Regulations
- List of Granting Agencies
- List of Investigators for research funded by PHS
- More information on NIH e-submission requirements